Communicating About Phase 1 & Phase 2 Trials: 5-DVD set and Facilitator Handbook
This handbook and modules follow on from the first and second series of training materials designed to help doctors, nurses and others when communicating with patients and their relatives about clinical trials. The earlier series focussed on randomised trials while this one deals with the complex discussions of phase 1 and 2 clinical trials. The handbook has two main parts; part one comprises five separate modules or topic areas described briefly. Part two, the appendix, contains referral letters, trial summaries, an ethical perspective to early phase trials and summary statements from healthcare professionals who took part in the filming of the DVDs.
- DISC 1: STANDARD + NEW AGENT PHASE 1 TRIAL (KU36-73)
- DISC 2: PHASE 1 MONOCLONAL ANTIBODY TRIAL (CHILOB)
- DISC 3: END OF TREATMENT CONSULTATION
- DISC 4: PHASE 1 DOSE ESCALATION TRIAL (LY2181308)
- DISC 5: PHASE 2 TARGETED TREATMENT TRIAL (ERLOTINIB)
A number of factors have been identified that hinder the recruitment of patients into randomised clinical trials. These include the pressures created by the changes in the delivery of cancer services, concern about ethical and medico-legal issues, attitudes of patients, doctors and nurses and difficulties with communication about trials.
Following requests for training materials, we designed a comprehensive educational package to help doctors, nurses and others when communicating about trials.
The educational package aims to improve communication through the provision of multiple scenarios to cover different challenges faced by healthcare professionals.
Modules 1-4 in DVD format
The package consists of a set of 7 DVDs. The hand-book contains time coded commentary and the issues illustrated in the videos or DVDs. The CD contains exercises and course materials.
These modules are:
- Communication about RCTs: collaboration or conflict of interests?
- Discussing RCTs of adjuvant therapy: dealing with uncertainty
- Discussing RCTs with poor prognosis patients
- Discussing RCTs with patients who have a preference for one treatment arm
Modules 5-7 in DVD format
The package consists of a set of 3 DVDs and handbook designed to help doctors, nurses and others when :
- Explaining screening and chemoprevention RCTs
- Discussing complex multi-arm RCTs
- Discussing RCTs with parents and teenagers
The handbook contains an introduction to each of the new modules and facilitator notes and a troubleshooting guide for dealing with difficult issues/participants.
- Complete the fields in the form below, ticking the appropriate box(es) to select your preferred package - highlighted fields must be completed.
- Hit the Submit button when all details have been entered.
- Your order will be emailed directly to Sussex Health Outcomes Research & Education in Cancer.
- An invoice will then be despatched with the materials and will include details on how to make payment.
- The cost of postage and packing will be charged according to weight, destination and shipment type.
- If you have any special shipment instructions please advise us of these in the Comments box when placing your order.